A textiles definition could be;
- An object in 3 dimensions which tries to interpret/support/understand life on this planet.
- Something you can touch with your body, strong tactile properties
- Something you can look at
- Something you can wear
- Something useful
- Something you can manipulate with your body in the broadest of sense
- Something you can hear
- Something you can survive with
- Something carrying a story
- Something that comments on society and the human condition in general
- Something that has always been around
I find that all textiles have a story, either through their inherent properties, like yarn with a certain ply, dye, origin etc or through a conscious manipulation, like a textile piece commenting on a political situation.
So it can be a more “simple” story or a combination of many stories combined to a new story, and so it goes on. These textile stories tie in with the human story to support or to make visible the formless.
More thoughts to come – it is a process